Top Scholars is a scholarship advising program for recipients of the LBJ Achievement Scholarship and based on first-generation status, TRiO Program membership, and participation in free or reduced lunch programs.
In this program, students will engage in different on-campus events, group meetings and one-on-one meetings.
- Scholarship advising
- Developing connections
- Assisting in transitions for first-year students
This number varies, but typically consist of the following:
- First-year participants: 10 to 15
- Second-year participants: 18 to 22
The program starts in August (start of the fall semester) and continues until May (conclusion of the spring semester) of each academic year.
Prior to the start of the semester, students are notified of their participation in the Top Scholars Program. The Top Scholars Program Coordinator will outline the various scholarship requirements.
Participants will need to fulfill the program requirements to remain eligible to receive the scholarship through the spring semester. Top Scholars will be informed and learn requirements at the program's orientation meeting and will sign a contract acknowledging their agreement with these terms.
Top Scholars must:
- maintain a 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) for the fall semester (not cumulative and specific for fall),
- maintain a 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA - cumulative),
- apply to participate in Student Support Services (SSS),
- Not all students will be eligible due to eligibility requirements. Application must be completed and submitted regardless.
- and participate in predetermined on-campus events including, but not limited to: