About the VFO Program
The Veteran Friendly Office Program is a collaborative effort between the Office of Student Diversity & Inclusion and the Veterans Advisory Council (VAC) at Texas State University.
Departments and programs that are designated as VFOs ensure that our Texas State student veterans are provided with friendly, proper and immediate assistance or resources to assist them with their academic and personal endeavors. The process by which an office can receive this designation is simple.
Requirements to be a VFO:
There are six easy requirements we ask an interested department/office to meet:
- 50% or more of office staff attend the "Transition from Combat to Classroom: Helping Student Veterans Succeed at Texas State" professional development workshop;
- Designate a point-person and one back-up person from your area to be available as the primary contact for student veterans who have questions or need referrals;
- Integrate a one-stop philosophy and assistance practice when helping student veterans;
- Maintain an updated list of key offices that provide veteran resources for making referrals;
- Maintain supply of Student Veteran Resource flyers which provide short list of veteran specific resource offices/departments/programs; and
- Display the VFO plaque in high traffic area or place of prominent visibility within the office.
First Step: Attend the Professional Development Workshop
Transition from Combat to Classroom: Helping Student Veterans Succeed at Texas State
The professional development workshop is designated to build awareness and understanding about student veterans among staff and faculty on campus and ultimately to help facilitate a smooth transition to campus. The two hour session covers topics such as who are our student veterans today, what is it like to transition from combat to the classroom, and what are the special challenges student veterans face in this transition. We will discuss potential needs of this population, some challenges and resources to help them address theses needs.
Participants will receive 2.5 CPE credits upon completion of workshop.
For dates, times and locations, please visit the Professional Development website.
Second Step: Once you meet the 50% requirement -
Submit application for VFO Designation Status
By joining this program, your office/department will become one of several offices/departments deidcated to helping student veterans make a smooth transition from active duty to campus life.
Request VFO Designation by filling out the Online Form!